Monday, May 10, 2010

Monday - 5/10/10

"Strong Legs"

5, 5, 5, 5, 5 Front Squats (unlimited rest)

rest 2 minutes

6, 6, 6, 6 Dumbbell Step Ups (each leg) (90 sec. max rest)

rest 2 minutes

100 Push ups
(Every break, run 50 meters out and back)
(A break means any sort of rest.  Any)

No Gym WOD:

200 squats
(Every break, run 50 meters out and back)
(A break means any sort of rest.  Any)

rest 2 minutes

100 Push Ups
(Every break, run 50 meters out and back)
(A break means any sort of rest.  Any)

Notes:
Front squatting is one of those exercises that I think gets under-used by most serious CrossFitters.  While is has almost identical effect as a good back squat (the different weight load obviously effects a different sequence of muscle activation and use), it also is a major core stabilizing move, more so then the back squat.  This is so because of where the load is placed.  Load something to your back, and you will naturally stand a little more upright.  Load something to your front, and it will pull your forward like crazy, forcing you to activate all core muscles to make sure you can just stand there.  Then, perform a squat with that load, and you have to fight like crazy to keep proper posture.  It is an extremely difficult and effective exercise.

The toughest part of this move is the hand position.  Many people struggle with the racked position of the bar because of shoulder and wrist tightness (see first picture).  The arms crossed grip generally works fine, and I have used this with a good deal of people but only as a transition.  If one hopes to be able to comfortable perform any barbell pressing exercise, cleans, handstand push ups and dip (to name a few), one will need mobile shoulders and wrists.  So, the goal is to move away from the arms crossed grip, with the hopes of increasing range of motion in the arm joints.  This is an argument I have had with many trainers, and I just lay down a couple points here.  There is plenty more info out there on both grips if you are curious.



http://stronglifts.com/how-to-front-squat-with-proper-technique/

5 comments:

Josh Courage said...

I ended up having most athletes do clean to front squat, and we also supersetted short box jumps with them, and ball slams along with the step ups.

For my personal records:

Hang Power Clean to Front Squat:
95, 135, 155, 185, 205

Felt really strong with this despite the cast and such on my left hand. I was extremely surprised to be hang power cleaning that weight without having done it for so long, but was very happy. My legs splayed out a bit on the last set, but I was able to focus on that for the 185 set and felt very strong in my form.

100 push ups - 5:23
Felt pretty bad on this. We had a 50 meeter out and back run, down and up a small slope, and I was hoping to just bang out rounds of 20. But after two rounds like that I just crashed. I got 20, 20, 15, 12, 10, 12, 11. And those push ups were a bit sloppy. Again, I had to do them on my fists, and the cast was not the most comfortable, but it was not that that made this tough for me, it was muscular fatigue.

Had a fun time with it though!

Grá said...

Hey, just a quick question for you, hope you don't mind! I'm maxing at 60kg on my front squat and 55 on my back squat, but I'm having serious probs with my OH Squat. I just cannot sit into a squat fully with it overhead, I keep falling forwards and losing balance. I can lift 35kg overhead in my push press so I don't understand why I can't OH Squat a 20kg oly bar! Wondering if you'd have any advice? Thanks a million, G

Josh Courage said...

G,

Yeah actually. I had the same issue for a good long time. The way I ended up fixing it (even though I still have problems with the OH Squat) was by decreasing the weight and working higher rep, while still fully controlling the movement. Because of how easy it is to fall out of control with that movement, it becomes extremely difficult to get full ROM with a decent weight.

Ultimately, it's a matter of being in complete control of the bar during every inch of the movement. Work Turkish Get Ups as a supplemental lift, and work a 5 and 10kg OH squat to get that control.

Hope that helps! Let me know how it goes!

Josh

Grá said...

That's great Josh thanks a mil. I've been doing the OH Squats with a towel and with a sweeping brush the past while to work on the technique because lowest weight bars in my gym are 20kg. I think I have a prob with squats in general because there's a serious difference between my deadlift and squat PR. I'll definitely give the turkish get ups a go though and see how I go. Thanks :)

Josh Courage said...

If squats are an issue, try performing air squats and very lightly weighted squats with your heels up on thin plates. This will help get some greater mobility through the squat motion. Also, try to roll out your pecs, posterior and anterior delts, scaps and traps as often as you can to increase mobility in your shoulders. I think a little added mobility work, along with that extra stability work will make you an OH squat expert in now time!

Let me know if you got anything else!

Josh