Friday, October 22, 2010

Yay, Sarcastic Post Time!


I got a PR!  Zippididooda!  Max Effort strict press and I got 175#!  Absolute BEAST baby!  Yeah, if you have read any number of my posts you know that my complete downfall are the shoulders.  I have been focusing on them to obnoxiously slow gains for some 2.5 years now and it's so not cool.  Today, after testing my strict press 1RM well over a year ago at 165#, then getting 170# about 8 months ago, I was able to up it another 5 pounds!

Now, don't get me wrong, in my eyes any gain is a gain I am legitimately happy about.  And what actually makes me mildly smile about it is that I have been struggling so badly with this damn area for so long, so it's nice to see something actually paying off a little.  But come on!  10 total pounds in almost two years!  I have made gains 10 times that in almost every single aspect of my physical body in the past 6 months, seriously.

Good god, and I'll throw an "oy" in there for good measure.  How slow my shoulders are to figure this whole "it's actually pretty cool to be strong" thing.  I guess the only thing I can do is:  Keep working hard, keep trying new things, and keep hoping for the gains to hit me.

After failing at 180# (a weight I SHOULD be repping for 5 or more), then attempting and failing 175# again, I called it a day on those and moved on to my metcon:

5, 4, 3, 2, 1 muscle ups w/
50, 40, 30, 20, 10 air squats and
10, 20, 30, 40, 50 double unders

This was a cool one.  Goal was around 5 minutes, and I was purely focusing on getting those muscle ups.  Which I did!  got all rounds unbroken except for, um, the round of 1.  I failed.  But quickly jumped back up and got it.  I think the focus on getting those made me move kind of slowly through the squats, and I only noticed this around the round of 30, and then just started banging them out like I know I can do.  The double unders went well after the first round.  Yeah, the round of 10 actually had me tangled in the rope 3 times!  I finished in 7:20 and felt good all around.  I know over a minute could be shaved off if I went after the squats and double unders right from the start.  I'll probably do a modified version of that pretty soon, it was great. 

I skipped the supplemental work after because Lindsey and I had spent the 4+ hours before bringing all my equipment over to the gym.  We had had a good breakfast at around 8am, a coffee at around 11.  That, was, it.  Well hey!  Maybe if I had a good lunch and was properly fueled I would have pushed up 180#?!!  Totally, that was the issue.  I'll get it next week.

My buddy Jake is in town from Vegas, so I will try to get the video from today up, along with some pictures of the new spot tomorrow.  I make no guarantees though.  Schmoozing with volleyball parents at the gym and a solid workout in the AM, Alcatraz visit, Giants/Phillies and Brock Lesner fight in the PM.  Good times.

Never Stop, GET FIT.

Josh Courage

No comments: