Saturday, October 30, 2010

F*&k That


Well the irony of yesterdays post and today's workout is overwhelming.  I came up with a good upper body dominant metcon to do post max effort strict presses, and I joined a group of ten wonderful fitness geeks at CrossFit Balance for the fun.

50 double unders
5 muscle ups
20 push press 95#
50 double unders
5 muscle ups
20 KB snatch 1.5 pood (each arm)
50 double unders
5 muscle ups
20 toes to bar

Last week I did a fun metcon with 15 total muscle ups, got all them with ease.  Last month I strung up the rings at Coyote Point Park and banked out 20 muscle ups with only 2 misses.  Today was a different monster.  Flew through the first set of double unders, banged out 2 straight muscle ups, then 1, then...nothing.  I missed 10 straight, giving each and every attempt my all.  After those first three, the remaining 12 in the workout all came in very, very messy fashion with more struggle than I ever imagined I would put into that move.  Everything else was fine, I got the push presses in a blaze of efficiency, same with the KB snatches (I actually surprised myself at how fast I got through those), and the toes to bar went unbroken as well.  But, despite the satisfying speed with which I flew through the other movements, I ended up with the slowest time of the entire group, 24:18.  I KNOW this is a sub-10 minute workout.  I KNOW I can get all those muscle ups unbroken.  I gave every single attempt everything I had, and I mean everything, and I just did not have it in me today.  GOD WAS THAT SO DAMN FRUSTRATING!

After sitting there for about 2 minutes, I went about hanging out and catching up with all my good East Coast friends, then headed back home and out to dinner with trainer friend Jim and good friend Bob and his partner Jonathan, it was great to catch up and spend time with them.  Now I feel in good spirits, have great energy, am looking forward to tomorrows workout, but still, through all this, I have no reasonable explanation as to why I failed like I did.  I will make a guarantee right now: I will string up my rings Wednesday of this coming week and bang out a muscle up metcon and it will be the polar opposite of what just happened.  So strange, so annoying, but so much a part of working out and life.

Builds character.

Never Stop, GET FIT.

Josh Courage

No comments: