Saturday, October 9, 2010

Back To Regular Posts


It turns out that I suck at keeping my site updated while on the road, I guess I just find too many distractions.  Anyway, back in CA now, Lindsey and I slept in this morning after watching the Giants lose in dramatic fashion last night, then watching about 4 episodes of Entourage.  After a quick protein shake we drove over to Coyote Point Park, parked the car, hoisted out the sandbags we brought along (I had a 52#, Lindsey had a 32#) and ran along the bay for probably just under 4 miles.  My good buddy Blair Morrison did something similar to this and wrote up a great post on the experience, check it out HERE.

Lindsey and I felt very similarly towards this workout.  It was really fun, not exhausting in any possible way, just annoying as hell.  What I mean is that it was too heavy to run very fast, so your lungs don't fatigue really, adding extra weight is tough on the muscles and joints, but it's not heavy enough to bring you to any sort of complete muscle fatigue.  What ends up happening however, is that the awkwardness of having this ever-changing shape weight strewn over and across your shoulders for any sort of extended period, just gets you uncomfortable.  What ends up making this so difficult is that you never have the ability to get comfortable, it just gets worse and worse as you move along.  So, in the end, your legs are a little tired, your stomach feels a little tighter, and your shoulders and traps are just about gone.  All around it's just a cool workout that anyone can do anywhere.  It does a great job at testing ones ability to endure being uncomfortable for a lot longer than most typical CrossFit workouts.  It took me 45 minutes, Lindsey 47, and we were both very tired, but not completely spent at all.  Highly recommended.
 

After restocking our fridge and cabinets with Costco and Trader Joe's food, we zipped over to Burlingame High School track to get workout number 2 in.

8 rounds of (90 second rest between sets):
200 meter run
10 burpees
15 sit ups

I am still struggling pretty bad with my hands thanks to "Daniel" the other day at CrossFit 702.  And by the way, if any of you doubt my toughness on this one, check out these pics:

So yeah, stayed off my hands.  Instead, I went ahead and did the 200 meter run did 40 sit ups off a 1/2 foot ledge...fun!  We just went ahead and went all out with this one, I would say we both averaged about 2 minutes per round in all, but not totally sure.  It was a nice day of good conditioning though.  Looking forward to tomorrow, then Monday calls for the return of heavy strength training!  Lindsey is back for her second round of 5/3/1, and I am attacking a new program.  I will write all about that on Monday when I start it.  A not-so-on-time Courageous Meals post is coming tomorrow!

Never Stop, GET FIT.

Josh Courage

No comments: