Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Running and Pushing


In the morning, I slipped my Vibrams on and left for what I was guesstimating would be about 6 miles worth of running.  Turned out to be 7 miles on the nose, and I did it in 1:04.  That is almost exactly a 9 minute mile.  My goal for the half marathon Lindsey and I are doing on the 7th is between 8 and 8:15 minute miles, so, gonna have to step it up a notch.  I felt good the whole time though, and I think I just cruised along, thinking about programming, business growth and other weird things that always seem to run through my head as I run (I come up with so many ideas when running, both good and bad...).  I am pretty confident I'll be able to get my goal time for the 13.1 miles in San Fran, but, not too stressed about it, just expecting a good Sunday morning with a whole slew of people who like to run around and challenge themselves.  And I love doing active things with Lindsey, so, it's all around perfect!

On to my PM workout.  I spent most of the day getting stuff done around the house and prepping for classes to start up in less than a week (as well as having a late breakfast with Brendan, owner of CrossFit San Mateo, great, great guy!).  So, my workout ended up being at around 6:30pm, much later than I am used to, and pretty tough to get into the mood when all I want to do is lie down and chill for the evening.  But, part of being prepared for anything is not always working out at the same times, so, here's to GPP!

4, 4, 4, 4 push press

4 rounds for time of:
3 handstand push ups
4 left and right and forward box jumps (jump to an 18" box to your left, then the same to your right, then a 30" box in front of you for one rep)
5 max height ball throws 20# (underhand throw the thing as high as freaking possible!)

Not a bad outing.  I again got a little interrupted with talking to people as they came in, and this time it did nothing but take what little energy I had away from me.  I ended up not doing a 4th set of push presses, finishing with some decent reps at 205#.  The metcon was actually pretty easy on the whole.  The HSPU's were rough, but I was able to get them all in (with a 10# bumper and abmat to limit my range of motion...).  The jumps and ball throws were a pretty cool addition.  With this focus of getting all planes working in my programming, I new adding the lateral box jumps before the explosive forward jump would be a great agility builder.  The max height ball throws helped with exerting maximal power into a lighter weight, which will assist the Olympic lifting, and also is so functional in the sense that the human body must be able to move all manor of weight quickly.  While it was easy enough, having me finish in 5:32, it was just the type of challenge for today, post long run and heavier push presses.

Up early tomorrow to get max effort front squats, then it's off to the airport to head back east.  For those of you who have not heard yet (and are part of my DC area crew!), I'll be doing a workout at Balance Gym Thomas Circle at 4pm on Friday, please come on by and workout and hang with us!

Never Stop, GET FIT.

Josh Courage

No comments: