Friday, November 5, 2010

Rest Day / Musings


Today I took completely off, besides 6 miles of total bike riding (to and from work).  I foam rolled, I stretched and I got work done throughout the day.  So because there was not much going on to talk about, I've decided to use this post for two things: first, I'll let you know about some my training tweaks and potential changes to the site (because classes and training are starting up, I need to make sure the site is at its best!).  Second, I want to talk a bit about perspective, something I have lost a bit of control over thanks to recent stresses.

While I continue on to my second phase of Max Effort Black Box strength bias, I am also focused fully on my two main weakness: shoulders and core.  Besides what I've already been doing, I am going to be adding handstand push up practice and strict chest to bar pull ups each and every morning, along with light static stretching.  I think that added work is going to be hugely effective, so I am excited to feel those gains.  TRX core work post strength days will be pretty helpful as well!

As for the site, within the next few weeks I'll be making some changes to make it a bit more conducive for clients and members.  My blog posts will still be visible and easily accessible, but I'll be making sure pertinent information will be right there.  Nothing too crazy, just some minor adjustments to make things wonderful.

Perspective:

- eventually I discovered for myself the utterly simple prescription for creativity: be intensely yourself. don’t try to be outstanding; don’t try to be a success; don’t try to do pictures for others to look at - just please yourself. -

I have no idea who wrote this, but it made me sit back and think for a good long time, and I have some pretty serious adjustments to make.  I have always been one to promote being yourself, doing "your thing" and being happy with the knowledge that yourself is better than anything you could ever be.  I am not opposed to change, to pushing limits and challenging yourself, I am merely talking about becoming comfortable in your own skin as well as with where you are right at this moment.  But lately I have been focusing too much on the future and how to get a name for myself out here in California.  Again, I am not opposed to thinking, planning and pushing for wonderful goals in the future, just as long as they do not interfere with what you are doing at any given moment.  And the fact that Lindsey and I just moved out here basically on a whim, I have lost that down-to-earth, grounded aspect of my life that I had happily found over the past many years.

How am I to be perceived out here?  Will I be able to establish the reputation that I had in and around DC, and grow it?  Will I be able to change the face of fitness like I dedicated myself to years ago?  What do I have to do to appeal to people here?  Will I get the pro athletes in the gym, the big names?

Well, I have the answer.  With this situation I find myself in, I know exactly what to do.  Don't worry about it.  Simple as that.

I love fitness, I love training, I love exploring and I love the adventure of life, every single day.  All I have to do is wake up in the morning and love my life, be passionate about what I do, and things will happen.  This has worked ever since I can remember; and interestingly enough, not just for me, but for anyone I have met who has just let go and truly, passionately, followed what they love.

So besides finding random quotes that might inspire you to change your life, what can you do to ensure you are moving in a direction where your perspective is healthy and positive?  Well, for starters, make a list.  I know this seems a little bit regimented, but the fact of the matter is, seeing certain things written down tends to be pretty eye-opening.  So start by writing down what your day looks like; don't do it for just one day, do it for at least a week.  Write down everything, when you wake up, how you feel, what's your process, do you read the paper, eat breakfast, take a shower, brush your teeth, workout?  What to you do?  The main point of this is to become more aware of how you feel around these actions.  Interestingly enough, what I would assume of most people is that your general feeling towards most things you do is indifference.  Sure you might have some things that make you happy, and you probably have a tone of things that annoy and bother you; but indifference, or apathy is most likely a very common feeling.

Well, to be pretty damn blunt, that sucks!  Why would you want the majority of your day to just not really matter?  Think about how great your life would be if you actually felt GOOD about the majority of things you did in a day?  This leads to step two.  Take those things that make you happy...now do them more!

When I was young, I found that baseball absolutely rocked my world.  As I grew up I decided that baseball was what I wanted to do.  So, I made sure I did whatever I could to play it.  Later on I realized that my life was changing, fitness was becoming the most important thing to me, it made me happy, all the time.  So, I turned fitness into my life.  And I'll tell you what, when I lose sight of all the happiness that's actually in my life, I am able to find my way out of the rut sooner rather than later because for the most part, I am doing exactly what it is I want on a daily basis.

As cheesy as it sounds, sometimes it's a really good thing to count your blessings, you know, keeps things in perspective.  Here are a few of mine:

I am living with the girl I want to spend my life with.
I am living where I've always wanted to live.
Every day I have the ability to explore and be active.
I have support from so many friends and family.
I have so much potential to share my passion with so many people!

What are yours?

Never Stop, GET FIT.

Josh Courage

1 comment:

JMOvechkin said...

With all these handstand photos, I have to ask, how are the HSPU's????