Friday, November 19, 2010

Courageous Meals - 7

Chicken and Vegetable Soup
"Comfort Food!"

I was trying to think of something simple yet really good and all of a sudden it hit me, I love soup!  Lindsey has mentioned many times that she does to, but the difference her her and myself is that she has actually made it before!  Lindsey - 1, Josh - 0... So, I decided that should change.  I found inspiration looking through the web at the different sites I follow (mostly Marks Daily Apple and Whole9) and found a good sounding one on MDA.


Ingredients:
  • 6 cups of chicken stock
  • 1 tsp parsley
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • ¼ teaspoon oregano
  • 2 cups cabbage, shredded
  • ¾ cup celery, chopped
  • ¾ cup mushrooms, chopped
  • ½ cup broccoli, chopped
  • ½ cup onion, chopped
  • ½ cup zucchini, chopped
  • 2 ½ lbs chicken breast fillets
  • Salt and pepper to taste
First start off my boiling up some water in a medium sized pot.  Once it's boiling, throw in your raw chicken breasts and boil for 5 minutes.  When they're in there, go ahead and take care of the cutting and chopping of the other ingredients.  When the chicken is done, drain the water, let cool real quick, then cut them up into bite-sized pieces.

At this point, grab a big pot and throw in your stock and seasonings, bring that to a boil.  Then add all the veggies EXCEPT for the cabbage.  Turn the stove to medium, keep it covered, set the timer for 30 minutes, and let it simmer.  If you want something to do for these 30 minutes, read up on your fitness at T-Nation or at The CrossFit Journal (or, of course, my site!).

When the 30 minutes are up, add your chicken and cabbage, cover again, and let it simmer for another 15 minutes.  Serve wonderfully hot!!

Simple, warming, perfect.  I really want to get after making more soups.  They tend to be such a great meal, or addition to a meal.  I have my mind stet on the perfect pumpkin soup as I am a complete sucker for anything pumpkin.  I am so open to recommendations for this one!  And the best part about them (soups that is): they are just good in any situation.  Sharing a bowl with the lovely lady while watching a movie, or perhaps sitting on our great porch (which we have yet to use!!), making a huge pot and having a nice gathering of friends.  Oh the possibilities are endless!  Hope you enjoy this one if you give it a try.

Never Stop, GET FIT.

Josh Courage

No comments: