Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Getting Work In

[Sorry, no pictures or videos are uploading.  I'll get some out tomorrow!]

Early Monday morning, Lindsey and I were up and off to pick up our rental car and get on the road.  Luckily however, Kenny had a some mail to get to Lindsey, so we ended up stopping over at Siena College again, and we were able to get a nice workout in.  We needed it!  Now folks, I know I am a promoter of all things healthy, but I must admit, I have a sweet tooth that I sometimes lose control over.  This would probably explain my "fat kid" days as a younger dude (although, looking back at pictures, I was not as fat as I thought I was, which is a little bit of a relief).  So, Sunday I had a little "opening-of-the-flood-gates" as it were, and consumed a relatively larger portion of sugar-filled wonderfulness.  Now before all you nutritional die-hards have your way with me, know that I have long ago parted ways with the mentality that I need to feel ashamed or frustrated with myself for indulging in things every now and again.  I am also honest with myself in knowing that if I truly want to look and perform at 100% potential, I can not in any way have days like this.  But, given my training schedule as of now, I have now problem cutting lose here and there.  Yeah, this is a topic I could talk about for hours, but I'll just stop it right there as this post is supposed to be focused elsewhere!

Moving on to the workout, both Lindsey and I were moving a slight bit slower than expected thanks to the day before, but this did not hold us back.  I know I put forth my 100% for the day.  The workout:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 of:
Deadlifts 225/155
Box Jumps 24"/20"
Push Press 115/45
Double unders (I did 25 each round, Lindsey did 10 each)

We sort of gauged the time off a wall clock and I finished in the 12 minute range, with Lindsey coming in about a minute behind me.  I would say that on a good day I should be getting a workout like this one in in about 8 minutes or so, but I was sucking wind like crazy by round 7.  I ended up focusing on getting things completely unbroken, and that became the big challenge of the day for me.  Besides a few missed double unders, I was able to succeed in my mid-workout goal!

We parted ways with NY and drove over to Northampton, MA to visit my sister and her two cute as hell kids.  I went to a yoga class with Deb (my sister), and then we made such a great meal.  Deb is a vegan (except for some occasional fish) and an extremely focused natural food consumer, and this leads to some pretty great ideas in the kitchen.  I'll save the details of the evenings meal for the next Courageous Meals installment, but our lunch today was a wonderful mixture of a tofu scramble with cilantro, two types of sweet potato fries, a grand mixed salad, and home-made sushi rolls.  It was nice to hang with the family for a little bit, and for an early dinner we all headed out to a great Irish restaurant before Lindsey and I hit the road again for NY and her family.

Up tomorrow morning for a workout at the local YMCA in Norwich, NY, then a big hike planned in the afternoon before we whip out the grill for a feast.  I'll be posting up once or twice before the weekend so stay tuned for those, and expect a bit of a break-down of a few cool topics for posts next week.  I have a handful of things to plan out for the coming new year and I want to share it all with you!

Never Stop, GET FIT.

Josh Courage

No comments: