Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Couple More B-game Locations


With temperatures hovering in the low to mid 90's today, I headed over to Burlingame High School for a workout.  This workout was meant to be done yesterday, but after early morning strength and a 6 mile run in 95 degree heat, I figured I'd take the rest of the day off.  I grabbed a 44# KB and did this:

10 minute AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) of:
3 squat snatches each arm
8 burpees
13 pull ups

To make it a bit tougher, I would penalize myself with 5 strict pull ups for every mistake or brake I had throughout the workout.  Well... I didn't break or make any mistakes, I just moved sooooo slowly.  Burlingame High School is absolutely legit, the CrossFitters dream.  There is an all turf field, a 400 m track, and a rubbered out area with three heights of pull up bars, a ling dip station and a string of monkey bars.  So perfect!  My one issue was that the bar was thin and it was freaking hot!

I ended up getting 5 rounds, plus the snatches, burpees and 3 pull ups and I was done.  I know it was the heat, the bad sleep I had gotten the past two nights and the rough day of nutrition yesterday (but Lindsey made awesome brownies!) that played a roll in my fatigue, but wow.  I literally sat in the car, AC blasting, for about 5 minutes just trying to get my mind about me.  Luckily I was prepared with a protein shake, and that restored my glycogen a little, at least enough to head over to my second workout.

Drove down to Burlingame's largest fitness center: Prime Time Athletic Club.  This place is just about everything that I will strive NOT to have at my place, plush chairs and sofas in the locker rooms, rows of ellipticals and recumbent bikes,  rooms of rehab equipment (lat pull downs, leg extensions, calf raises etc.), and a nice little cafe with cookies, muffins, and vitamin water.  The cafe is where I sit right now writing this post, with relaxing jazz playing in the background, I can't lie, it's pretty nice, but geez, the point of these places are supposed to get you in shape!  I strolled around the facility a bit, and found just about exactly what I expected, a good deal of people, all moving very slowly.  Hell man, I have had plenty of great workouts at "globo gyms" before, but they truly do inspire NO intensity at all.  When your free weight room has TV's in each corner, how are you supposed to comprehend rest periods?  I could go on, but I feel like I'd be preaching to the choir here.  Perhaps it's time an area like Burlingame get a shot f reality in their veins.  Perhaps it's time they get a taste of what it really means to get in good shape and stay in good shape.  Here I come B-game!!

So, got off topic there for a hot second.  I went over there for a swim in the pool.  It's been a good long time since I experienced my inability to swim, and I did not let myself down in my expectations.  I did an easy 500 meters, half breast stroke, half free style.  Then, after a little rest, went for a unbroken 500 meters.  Did it in 12:36.  That is not good at all.  So, I know have a goal.  Lindsey and I are going to be doing a triathlon in early November, and the swim is 500 meters.  I want to get it in under 10 minutes.  In fact, I want to get it in 8 minutes, at least.  The best art about this is, swimming is going to help out in all aspects of my training.  So, I welcome the challenge.  But that was the first, and last time I will ever go to Prime Time.  Sorry guys, the place just brings me down.

Never Stop, GET FIT.

Josh Courage

No comments: