Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Run, and A Challenge...!


Today, after plenty of training (and watching two of my wonderful new sleds get busted on the rough asphalt in front of The Garage), and a pretty exciting baseball game (I was head coach again, and we had a good one), I decided to jump on the track at Georgetown Prep High School for a little run.  3 miles was the goal.  My goal for the fall is sub 20-minutes.  The weather was a bit cooler than the past couple days, but the humidity was still thick in the air.  But I felt pretty light, loose and was able to keep my splits at a respectable time.  First mile was at 7:10, second, came in at 14:10 (cut 10 seconds off), then, finished the third at 20:57, making my overall pace just barely sub-7.  Very happy with that.

The other thing I am doing, and this was decided kind of on a whim the other day, is going paleo.  Now, for those of you who know me pretty well, I am very anti-paleo in terms of the scientific reasoning behind it.  But, I am also a realist, and can clearly see the positive effects it has had on so many people in and out of the CrossFit community.  So, I have dedicated the remainder of this month, and all of next month to about as strict a paleo plan as I can do.  My focus is on performance.  If I feel better, sleep better, and improve in all around performance with everything, well, then I really have nothing much bad to say about the way of eating.

Here's what I will be following:

I will eat meat (poultry, fish, and some red meat here and there, maybe.  My body does not do very well with it), eggs, all vegetables, all fruit, most nuts and seeds.  I will use oils and seasonings sparingly, and will allow some sweet potatoes and some brown rice every now and again.  I rarely drink already, but I will be a little more careful as to what I drink when I drink.

This means I will be cutting out any and all sugars and processed food, I will have no gluten or grain products, I will also have little to no rice.  I will continue to not eat dairy of course as well.  My biggest effort with this will be focusing on my "snack" foods.  Like at the game (now yesterday), I purchased a collection of raw veggies and ate those throughout.  That will be a habit I will really have to focus on following.

I will keep updates coming in of course, but for the most part, I will continue writing about the training and other interesting things that happen.

Never Stop, GET FIT.

Josh Courage

No comments: