Friday, July 30, 2010

Just Row


My wonderful little Concept 2 rower has been perched up, center stage in The Garage for a good long time now and I have been neglecting it.  It wasn't until yesterday, when the crazy thunderstorm caused Toddy and Brian to come over here rather than meet me at the track, that I pulled it down, wiped the dust off and put it to use again...finally.  The guys did a 100 to 1000 meter ladder, taking turns on the thing while the other rested.  It looked like fun.  So, I replaced my 3 mile run with 10,000 meters for time.

This was purely mental for me.   My legs were a bit tight from the weeks workouts, but I assumed they would loosen up as I rowed; this was mostly the case, until the last 2500 meters.  My goal was to stick around a 2-minute per 500 pace, which I did for the first 3k or so, then I just got bored.  It has been a while since I have gone out and simply moved for a really long time, and my mind was not prepared for it.  I never really tired fully, I sweat like crazy, but was never totally fatigued until I pushed the last 1500 meters.  My first break came when I tried to put tape on my heels.  See, I stupidly went barefoot with this, and the foot-holders began ripping up the backs of my feet right around minute 2!  The tape promptly flew off.  So, my second break came when I throw my vivobarefoots on.  This helped a ton and I was able to make up some time, but I had already lost so much.

I then proceeded to take about 3 other breaks to grab a sip of water and towel off (when I say I was sweating, I was really, really, really SWEATING!  For those of you who know me well, that means it was more then most people can truly imagine!).  I was able to attack the last bit with a sub-1:45 time (proving I was dogging it for most of the way) and finish with a time of 42:06.  I know this is a sub-40 minute workout for me.  I then finished with a selection of couplets that included barbell overhead lunges with a rotation, isometric front raises with a weight hanging from a cable, martial arts kick-throughs, isometric hanging knee raises, KB figure 8's and wall sits with KB clean and presses.  It was a fun day.

Heavy lifting today, then off to Albany to show my buddy Kenny a good time (I feel like I missed out on supporting him in a way I should have for his wedding, so I wanted to give him a fun weekend, just him and I).  I have another post on nutrition coming up, with some cool pictures I found while visiting the National History Museum with my cousin. 

Enjoy the last couple days of July; not really sure why I feel this way, but I want to go all out in August!  Going to make it a crazy month in terms of fitness (it's going to be crazy enough given it is my last one living on the East Coast!)

Never Stop, GET FIT.

Josh Courage

No comments: