Friday, July 16, 2010

Good Luck At The Games!


BEAST

Today marks the start of the 2010 CrossFit Games, and while I am a bit bummed out that I can not be there to cheer on all my friends, or, of course, to have potentially competed with them, I want to give a huge shout out to all of them that I know are out there.


Blair Morrison!  After a stellar performance last year, finishing 7th overall, his incredibly inspiring methods to train for this year have lead him all over Europe, finding new and unconventional ways to stay in top shape.  With a 1st place finish at the European Regional, I am sure Blair will have yet another impressive performance this year.  Best of luck buddy!  Looking forward to getting workouts in together when I get out to CA.

Christy Phillips!  After getting closer with Christy through my CrossFit Community Week and the DC's Most Primal Competition, I know first hand just how insane this girl is.  She completely owned her Regional, and I am 100% convinced she is going to turn out something awe-inspiring at the Games this year.

Deepak!  Just a freaking cool dude all around, met him at the SuperFit Games last year, then reconnected at DC's Most Primal.  He'll be competing with his Affiliate team and I know with him as part of the group, they will do damn well.

Lee Knight!  Working with Lee to help get a good at-risk youth program going in DC has been great.  We are underway with the "DC Youth Fitness Coalition" and her drive and in her own fitness and in helping others is a motivation.  Have never worked out with her, but I am convinced she is a beast in the gym, and will help out her Affiliate team immensely.  Good luck!

For those of you who are interested, this year they will be streaming all the events live.  So, if you want to see the best of the best in the fitness world, go check it all out here!

In other news, I have been getting to work a little the past couple day.  Working squat clean form on Wednesday and getting a fun metcon in with sandbags and the TRX.  Yesterday was crazy.  Went out with a couple of my football guys to the Wilson High School football field and did the following:

24 x 60 yard sprint (sub 10 seconds each sprint with 40 second rest between sprints)
This is the fitness test for one of my guys, and I made the requirement to finish in sub-9, which he did in all but 6 of them.  So, I had the punishment:

Football field Suicide:
Sprint 10 yards and back, 20 yards and back, 30 yards and back so on until 100 yards and back.  At the 100 yard sprint, do 6 burpees.  I finished in 4:40, one of the guys promptly lost his lunch at around 40, the other finished in a little over 8 minutes, having dry-heaved about 4 times throughout.  Good times.

Well, then, Lindsey and I hit the CrossFit Total.  I did not expect big things here given the past few days, but Lindsey was pumped up to give it a try, so, why the hell not.  I got 365# on squat, decided to cut it there as I did not want to risk anything, felt very strong with it though.  Got 165# on the press, so slow on improvements here.  I tried something Blair Morrison once told me with 170#, power clean to strict press.  Got so close, I will be trying this method again soon enough.  Got 455# on deadlift and it was bad.  Having deadlifted for speed three days before, and after all that running I knew these would be a little rusty, but I had no interest in risking any injury here, so stopped 15# short of my goal total of 1000.

Lindsey had much the same experience, rough squat, good press, and a very, very shaky 255# (PR) on the deadlift.  This put her 10# away from her goal of 500.

Right now I am in the Las Vegas airport about to catch my next flight to San Jose where Lindsey and I will be looking for a place to live, and I will be looking for a gym!  Expect to get filled in on this process, as well as hear about some of our funky workouts I am planning for the trip.

Never Stop, GET FIT.

Josh Courage

No comments: