Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Yesterday and Today (Trans-Con #5)

Well first things first, these past couple days have been a little rough for me.  That's the bad; the good is that I know exactly why: literally for the past three days I have been off on my nutrition timing.  I have been eating healthily, I've been comfortably living sans dairy, red meat and gluten (starting to get a little curious about the gluten thing...another post), it's just been WHEN I chose to eat that is of my concern.  I have not prepared properly and have paid the price (nice alliteration there, haha!).

So what has happened you might ask?  Well, I have been very sore and fatigued, tired, lethargic and my sleep has been very shaky.  But the one thing I can tell you is this:  it is so gratifying to know exactly why I feel a certain way, to how to fix the way I feel.  Be a little more prepared, eat after workouts, get to bed a little earlier and it will all be better.  It starts tonight.  As I write I have chicken baking in the oven, a large salad to prepare and breakfast to prep.  I have protein rationed out for the gym and small, single serving bags of nuts and raw veggies to put together.  I am actually very excited about getting all this stuff prepared, it's fun really!

So, on to the workouts.  Yesterday I headed over to the exorcist steps for 5 rounds for time, got 4:07.  Then, jogged to Georgetown U and hooked up the TRX to a soccer post and did this:
1 rep of each knees to chest, bicycles, pike ups
50 yard sprint and back
2 reps of each
40 yard sprint and back
3 reps
30 yards
etc.
When I got to 5 reps of each and 10 yards, I started back up the ladder on the sprint until I got to 10 reps of each on the three core moves on the TRX.  I got 10:17 and felt like that was a bit slow.  I was just feeling all around slow, it was frustrating.  From there, I headed back to the steps for another 5 rounds; got 4:09 this time.  After a meeting and class, I went back to the gym for a strict overhad press session.  3, 3, 3, 1, 1, 1.  I got 160# for my 5th round, and missed my last round.  Same as my last best, maybe a little smoother, but pretty rough all around.

Today was the Trans-Continental #5 with Blair Morrison who is out in Paris now.  He had a great workout and a great post to follow where he talks about how he had been feeling a little slow as of late, so he just turned it on for this one.  I literally had the exact opposite feeling towards this workout.  I came into it with low energy, I was sore, fatigued and feeling low energy all around  I told myself to pick it up but there's picking it up, and shifting your mind honestly.  I did not shift my mind, and I paid the price.

50 push ups, 50 air squats, 25 burpees, 400 meter run
40, 40, 20, 400
30, 30, 15, 400
20, 20, 10, 400
10, 10, 5, 400

I finished with an out of breath time of 23:35.  I knew immediately that this would be a sub-20 minute workout.  While it was rough, it was even more rough to see that Blair got it in 18 something, a full 5+ minutes faster!  And I am usually really good with body weight metcons.  It was humbling to say the least.  BUT, I know why, I need to prepare my fuel and fuel myself correctly.  And if I slack, even a little, with the amount I am pushing myself, I will feel it big time.  So, all I need to do is sleep more and eat better.

So that is exactly what I will do.  Supplemental deadlift  work and heavy upper body tomorrow, and a wonderful off day Friday as I travel to Arizona to see my lady and work out like crazy!


Never Stop, GET FIT.

Josh Courage

No comments: