Tuesday, January 26, 2010

New Kipping PR

Today I had a nice little workout with my good buddy Matt.  We got 4 rounds of 10 deadlifts, 4 rounds of 5 squat cleans to thruster and 1 set of max rep pull ups.  I finished with a nice 30-mile bike ride out towards Mount Vernon and back.

Yesterday was amazing weather here in DC.  So I had to get outside.  A nice 7 mile run with the VFF's on, and a heavy backpack with 5 burpees every 5 minutes.  Took 55 minutes in total.  Then hopped on the bike and got an 8 mile ride back into the city.  Best part of the day though, getting 3 consecutive handstand push ups to a abmat.  Still not full, but that is more strict HSPU's then I've ever done, a PR by 3...!

The deadlifts felt great today, stayed light (only did 265# for the last rund of 10) but was able to work on form and breathing patterns.  The squat cleans were good too.  Got 185# on the last round, got two straight then missed two.  Readjusted my focus and got two after that.  I struggle with the deep front squat, and of course, struggle with shoulder pressing of any kind, so I was happy with that last set.  Then the pull ups.  I was able to butterfly kip through 34 reps and I only switched to normal kipping because I was not feeling as smooth as I felt I needed to.  Once I hit 37 (my last PR), I remember saying "get 42" in my head.  And when I got 42, I hopped off the bar.  It was only a few hours later I realized that I stopped short of what I was truly capable of.  Kind of strange that I did that, but either way, to PR by 5 reps and know that I did it easily is a great feeling.

Now it's chill time for a few days before the CrossFit Charlottesville SuperFit Games this coming Saturday!

Never Stop, GET FIT.

Josh Courage

No comments: