Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sabino Canyon, Arizona Workout

Saturday, the 16th, Lindsey and I drove down to Tucson to visit my good friend Lance and his girl Emily.  It was a nice little road trip that culminated wonderfully, with Lindsey getting her first pair of Vibram Five Finger shoes!!  I had had a great climb up Camelback with mine, and I knew Lindsey would love them just as much.


After hanging at Lance's for a bit and catching up, we all piled into his car for a the quick drive out to Sabino Canyon.  After hiking up the paved road (with a little, relatively pointless side-track out to a big concrete block...don't ask), we ran back down to a dried out riverbed we had hiked past.  Trudging up it a little, we found a perfect location, and I came up with this fun little ditty for the four of us:

15 minute AMRAP of
100 meter rock sprint
5 x rock squat toss
3 x boulder scramble
10 x pull
10 x push


This was just all around awesome!  It was fatiguing, in the perfect way though; muscles were tight, breath was heavy and we all just felt great afterward.  The main aspect that supported my belief that these workouts are the best kind was the setting.  We were outside, in the mountains of Arizona, great weather; ultimately the perfect gym.  It reinforced my belief that being outside and being active is just such a great way to live life.  Don't get me wrong, I love gyms, I enjoy visiting different facilities and I get that excited feeling deep in my stomach every time I see a collection of great weight equipment; but really, the best feeling I have ever felt, and the most honest and real experiences I have ever had, are when I am out in nature, by myself and with friends and being active.  I feel truly human.



Never Stop, GET FIT.

Josh Courage

No comments: