Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Toughest Workout Ever?


Probably not, but I came up with this thing on the fly after my two guys came in with some differing feelings towards the days challenge.  One had missed some days of strength, the other was planning on meeting up with me and a group later at the track.  We were meant to do straight conditioning, but given their situations I came up with something a little more strength based.  The fun part about the workout is that they are both in great shape, and I wanted to kick their butts a little bit without risking form breakdown or anything like that.

10 rounds of Cindy (5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 15 air squats)
50 KB swings 35#
300 meter run
8 rounds of Cindy
40 KB swings
300 meter run
6 rounds Cindy
30 swings
Run
4 rounds Cindy
20 swings
Run
2 rounds Cindy
10 swings
run

I honestly did not expect this one to be this tough, but one guy could not finish it (to his credit, he ate directly before coming in, not the smartest move, and I am sure it will not happen again...), the other guy finished in 50:23.  And he was DONE the rest of the day.  Now this is the type of workout you will not see me throw together very often, but I do enjoy this style every now and again.  It tests mostly cardiovascular and mental endurance, but has enough going on that those who find hard running to be boring would never get bored.  It will also be exponentially better for you than running in terms of overall fitness because of how much your body is actually being used.  The best part about it, is that it is very difficult to do the wrong thing.  This makes it safe for anyone, and safe to continue doing even after you've reached the "I-have-checked-out-of-this-emotionally-and-am-just-running-on-momentum-now" phase.  Usually I think it very risky to get 25 minute plus metcons in with weight, because the form will have to break down a great deal after that time and put your physical body at a pointless risk.  Kind of like the workout we will all be doing Friday.

You'll see.


Never Stop, GET FIT.

Josh Courage

No comments: