Sunday, November 23, 2008

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu

Well, now that I'm getting into it a bit more, I figure I should write a little about it too. Since I finished my marathon goal and am working on my challenges, I have found a new hobby that I'm getting pretty serious about. The great thing about it is that it's becoming such a popular sport all around the world it seems that there is always a great selection of information and support wherever you might be. Just walk into any book store and look at how many books there are on the topic. Do a google search and you will see more pages, blogs and information on not only jiujitsu, but all Mixed Martial Arts then almost any other sports. MMA in fact is the fasted growing sport around the world; while it's huge in the US, it was just legalized in France, it's always been big in England, and of course, all of Asia and South America seems to have training spots in more places then America has Starbucks.

But besides the fact that it's all over the place, I have a great school in Renzo Gracie DC with a great instructor and in the short bunch of months that I've been practicing I have learned so much and hope the fun never ends.

So here's one of the many reason why I like this sport of jiujitsu so much: it is never ending. What I mean by that is there is a no final answer on how things should be done. One move may work for one person but not for another, one technique works against one opponent, but not another. When you get a take-down, or you get some sort of control on an opponent, there are endless possibilities as to what you can do next. As a Black Belt I had the privilege of rolling with said, Jiujitsu is like an ocean of information, and no matter how long you practice the sport, you will always be wading near the shore line looking out at the millions of new angles and moves you can learn and perfect.

Today for example, I had a very nice gentleman form Massachusetts come in to roll a little with me. He found me through my blog and wanted to come in when he was in town to get some work. We worked on some moves together and at the end I feel like I got so much more out of the session than he did. I ended up seeing a whole new perspective on the sport that I hadn't been able to work on in my school. It was frustrating, motivating and very exciting to get an outside perspective on it all and I am looking forward to when he comes back to town and we can work out some more.

What a great sport, what an amazing way to challenge yourself and keep growing. I plan on sticking with this for a good long while. I highly recommend giving it a try to anyone looking to find a good hobby.

Never Stop. GET FIT

Josh Courage

No comments: