Thursday, June 18, 2009

Riding With Courage






In April of 2010 I will be riding my bicycle from San Fransisco, California to Washington, DC to raise money for Children's Hospitals. That's about 3,000 miles and I'll be doing it in 30 days; an average of 100 miles a day. I will raise a minimum of $50,000.

The idea was inspired by a few different events: first, I bought my wonderful Cervelo S2 at a great bike store called Conte's and was privileged to have the woman who owns the place help me out. She actually races across America, doing the whole journey in under 8 days...pretty crazy if you ask me. But that, combined with an excursion away from my normal day job and a few outdoor magazines that reminded me about how much I love getting out and just doing things. I was talking with some friends about my marathoning last year and how much fun I had challenging myself to such an adventure. Ultimately I found that what I really needed to get back to was getting involved in some sort of adventure and sharing every step of the journey as I went. But that just wasn't enough for me. I've read all about people who have challenged themselves and written a bit about it here and there, and I assume there are tons more people out there who continuously do the same thing without ever mentioning it to anyone.

So, I decided to I'd make an event out of it and go ahead and raise a little money for a great cause.

As we speak I have some info to dish:

- The information website is complete, just having a small technical problem with uploading it.
- A course is tentatively designed, just need to set it in more detail (this will be an ever-changing process, even while riding I am sure, but I will keep it all updated for you).
- The fund raising events are written down and contacts have been made to set those up. Dates will be announced very soon for those.
- I am arranging meetings with people from and connected to Children's Hospital to go over details and get the ball rolling.
- The budget and time-line are almost complete and then it's off to secure a title sponsor and a few others who may want to hop on this fun adventure with me.

There is so much planning that will be going into this and I am extremely excited to get it all underway. I open the door to anyone with questions, comments, or, wanting to help out in any way, shape or form. The donation site will be up shortly as well for those of you who want to get their charitable juices flowing.

So there you have it! Next April I'll be out and on my journey. I hope everyone can join in in some way!

Never Stop, GET FIT.

Josh Courage

No comments: