Friday, November 12, 2010

Courageous Meals - 6

Breakfast Quiche
(Dairy-free of course!)

I have been wanting to give breakfast a bit of a twist since all I really have been working with lately is different scramble combos.  While I commonly don't like to use set recipes, I suckered down and opened up the great book Gourmet Nutrition (a gift from good friend Jim Bathurst of Beast Skills) and found inspiration.

Ingredients (I doubled the called-for amount in the book, this made 14 large quiches):
  • 3 cups spinach
  • 1/2 cup chopped pepper (red or orange)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 4 whole eggs
  • 6 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup grated rice cheese (original calls for grated Swiss, do what you wish, I actually think it would be just fine with no cheese)
  • 6 oz. deli style turkey slices
  • 3 cloves garlic chopped
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Also needed:
  • Olive oil cooking spray
  • Salsa (to use on top of quiches when finished.  I used mango salsa, so good!)
  • Muffin tray (with 12 or more molds)
  • Blender
Once all the ingredients are set and ready to go, pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.  Next, grab all the ingredients and throw them in the blender.  Blend on low until decently liquefied (it doesn't need to be total liquid at all, just make sure it is, mostly liquid).

Next, liberally spray the muffin tray with the olive oil and proceed to pour in your blended mixture.  Fill each mold about 3/4 the way and then slip into the oven.  Keep them there for 20-30 minutes, or until firm to the touch (no liquid should show when you press directly into the middle of them), then take them out and set on the counter to cool for about 5 minutes (they will shrink a good amount, just a heads up).

Plate a couple, throw on a spoon full of salsa next to them and enjoy!

These turned out pretty damn good I must say.  And because I made a bunch of them, they ended up being the perfect snack a little later in the day after being refrigerated.  I plan to make these again on a regular basis and I'll be trying out a few different things.  Here's what I'm thinking:  No cheese, adding actual solid pieces of meat or vegges to the mix, adding something spicy, if I ate cheese I would totally add parmesan.  yeah, there a few ideas, if any of you try this out with something different, let me know how it turns out!  Either way, this was a great dish as a light but nutritional breakfast, and/or a perfect snack or post-workout meal.  I highly recommend this one!

Never Stop, GET FIT.

Josh Courage


No comments: